The dabbler files
Instead of bruising my head on the desk every time I encounter a new unfounded theory on the cause of eating disorders, I've taken to creating The Dabbler File:
- types of mothers that create eating disorders
- 'MY BABY GAVE ME AN EATING DISORDER'
- because they want to be invisible, unnoticed.
- 'Crisis In Masculinity' Leads To Eating Disorders
- the pressure of being a twin
- expression of self-hatred
- young women and girls fail to come to terms with the uniqueness of their frames and go on an unending quest to become thinner than ever.
- Co-Stars Caused Bulimia
- and my absolute favorite: an extensive list of causes that doesn't manage to list even ONE that has any data to support it
Diagnosing and treating eating disorders is not an amateur sport. Why do so many people feel they can just come up with a theory that suits their worldview and not examine the facts? If they are hearing it from the mentally ill patient, ought they not take that at face value? Don't they fear they risk LIVES when treatment is delayed or derailed on specious theories and pet topics?